Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Channel to the Med

Channel to the Med 1 week 5 days ago #4631

• TriVal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Better weather today... maybe i don't hate Chris "king of the mountains" latham after all. 80 miles done... lots of churches featuring in the route notes... good company good food. all's well with the world
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith, Jonathan Cox

Channel to the Med 1 week 5 days ago #4632

• TriVal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Random church day 2... one of many!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sally.adams

Channel to the Med 1 week 5 days ago #4633

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
10th June 2018

Today we rode to La Flèche (The Arrow). It was only 80 miles & included our first Col, the Col de St Mount John.

Most of the climbing was before lunch & it didn’t start raining until just before lunch when we had stopped for a natural break & for Val to buy postcards.

After lunch of Croque Monsieur & Frites we set off again for 40 miles of what we where assured was flat & downhill but was what I would call undulating. Miraculously the sun appeared & although there were storms all around us we managed to arrive at the hotel in the dry. We even had to stop to apply sun cream, things must be getting better. Tomorrow we are off to the Loire Valley for another 80 miles & although more storms are forecast hopefully we can avoid them again.

As I write this Pete has gone to sleep (fully clothed) & Val is busy uploading to Strava. Fortunately her Garmin is now working although she lost 18 miles from yesterday. Yes another storm is coming in but we can watch it from the comfort of our hotel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith, Ricki Goode, Jonathan Cox

Channel to the Med 1 week 4 days ago #4637

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
11th June 2018

Today was going to be a lovely day riding to the Loire Valley. Unfortunately it rained again. We had torrential rain for 40 miles & although it is relatively warm rain you still get wet. In fact if we had passed a station I would have been tempted to catch a train.

Our route notes waxed lyracil about a lovely picnick lunch by the side of the Loire overlooking the Chateau at Langious. It didn’t happen. We all went to a restaurant to keep dry although they were very fussy about where a bunch of very wet cyclists were allowed to sit.

The afternoon turned dryer but there was still some rain & storms around. We stoped at the Chateau at Azy la Riddeaux (of Sleeping Beauty fame). We carried on to our last brew stop & discovered why Val hadn’t been going so well. She had fitted 25c Schwalbe tyres before we left but had only got 60 psi in them. Once we had got some proper pressure in them she was a changed woman.

Every cloud has a silver lining. As many of you will know Monday is not a good day for restaurants in France & we finished off having our picnic lunch in the Hotel car park.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith, NRIMMER, MurrayB

Channel to the Med 1 week 4 days ago #4639

• semler
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Well done all. Hope weather is on the up. I am putting a link to yr diary here on the front page. Let's have some photos pls. P

Channel to the Med 1 week 4 days ago #4640

• semler
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Selfy of you all in front of another random church pls
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds