Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Channel to the Med

Channel to the Med 3 weeks 3 days ago #4676

• Chris Latham
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
21st June 2018

Another hard day climbing up to the Gourges du Verdon. Started with a cat 2 climb of 12 miles. Difficult to imagine a climb of 12 miles but that is what it was. Brilliant scenery if you could look but some photos later.

Another 5 miles climbing after lunch. Hard very hard. The average gradient is not high but they ramp up to 20% & it is only the length of the climb that keeps the average down.

Absolutely brilliant run in along side the River Verdon before we got to Castellane.

Try for some photos but they wouldn’t load last night.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: semler, martinsmith

Channel to the Med 3 weeks 2 days ago #4677

• Chris Latham
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
21st June 2018

Today we rode to Castellane via the Gorges du Verdon. As Val says the scenery was stunning especially after the first of many climbs. The 1st climb was a category 2 climb of 12 miles. When you look at the stats it doesn’t look too bad. It probably averaged 4%. But over 12 miles that hides a lot of 10%-13% sections. After we had climbed for ever we where rewarded with an ice lolly. Never has one tasted so good.

We had numerous other climbs one of 5 miles but none as hard as the first. I have some photos which I hope will come out. The upside was of course the descents on narrow roads & playing miss the coaches. When you meet one on a switchback it is you who have to take avoiding action as they take up all the road. If you meet one in a tunnel then you have to reverse as they take up the whole of the road.

Having said that it was a glorious day of cycling with fantastic views but very hard.

We followed the River Verdon into Castellane & because it is a glacial River it was a beautiful colour & very inviting but I know from experience in Canada that it would also be very cold.

Castellane is beautiful but surrounded by mountains so we know what we will have to do tomorrow.
2F73BC7C-871B-48F0-BBE7-FA490622EF7A.jpeg

370B17BA-673B-44EF-8E3D-1FDC25B94602.jpeg
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith

Channel to the Med 3 weeks 2 days ago #4678

• Chris Latham
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
So we come to our last day. Today we will ride to Nice (hopefully).

We start the day with the obligatory climb. It says it is longish & it was. But we are used to this by now. We stopped for a pasta lunch at a lovely cafe & enjoyed the sun.

We were all in a good mood as the final 20 miles to Nice where all downhill. It is difficult to imagine 20 miles downhill but it was glorious if a little wearing on the brakes not to mention the hands. Sunday is the Nice Ironman & they have to ride up it. The best of luck.

So we got to Nice & Val went into the Med fully clothed & one of the guys even skinny dipped. I watched & drank my champagne (actually Cava). By that time I wouldn’t have noticed the difference anyway.

So now for the roundup. Chris held on to the mountain jersey by the skin of his teeth mostly due to the Quadruple points for Mount Ventoux. Pete took the points classification due to some amazing descending. But the Yellow Jumper has to go to Val. She was the only one who did the whole trip. She didn’t walk once & had an amazing day on Mount Ventoux.

So that’s it then. We rode around 900 miles & climbed 60000 feet. Not one puncture or mechanical & Chris didn’t even fall off. I got through a set of brake blocks & a set of cleats.

Did I mention that we climbed Mount Ventoux?
8F89B9BB-D0BF-4E9F-9197-7C5C85E0FE5B.jpeg

3CC73E51-D6B3-4903-B15F-A0CBE268385A.jpeg

3CC73E51-D6B3-4903-B15F-A0CBE268385A.jpeg
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith, Kevin Bacon

Channel to the Med 3 weeks 2 days ago #4679

• semler
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Well done the three of you, a fantastic effort and great fun by it seems. Look forward to a slide show and more detail one evening?

Channel to the Med 3 weeks 2 days ago #4680

• martinsmith
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Well done all 3 and thank you for the daily updates, they’ve been very revealing and entertaining!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Bacon

Channel to the Med 2 weeks 4 days ago #4686

• Francis Rodriguez
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Keep Smiling :-)
  • Thank you received: 1
Another incredible adventure guys! Sadly I wasn't there to see you off on your journey this year...

Well done!! F
:woohoo:
B)
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds